In families that were visited during the stay and where the water for tea was boiled on the wood fire inside, Jan went to enjoy the view outside after about 10 minutes. This to avoid the smoke inside. Much worse is that the children of these families are also in the smoke. The result is that many children in Sailung have lung and eye problems and growth disorders. These health problems also limit the children's learning ability at school. Better health will also give these children better school performance because they have more energy.
Research from the World Health Organization has shown that in poorly ventilated open-fire living spaces, particulate matter concentrations are 100-fold the accepted level set by the organization. The smoke from the fire place is also rich in carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, formaldehyde, benzene and many other toxic organic components.
Now there have been a number of initiatives from various charities to develop smoke-free cooking stoves. With such a stove, traditional dishes can be cooked and baked and a water supply is heated during the burning. The smoke is led out through a chimney.
An additional advantage of the stove is that as a whole it burns much more efficiently and half the amount of firewood is sufficient. We would like to provide all children in Sailung, and certainly the children who visit the school, with a smoke-free home.
Our goal for the coming years is that we also give all new Sailung children, as well as children from the nearby region, a home without smoke. The cooking stove donations therefore have a great impact on the health of the children and the future of the region.
The purchase and transport of a smoke-free cooking stove costs € 125, -
Your donation is very welcome.
Because the foundation is ANBI certified, you can get part of the gift back through tax. This depends on whether it is a one-off or a periodic donation.